Creating a world in which every child has a 24/7 Dad.®
NBN 24/7 Dad is a partner with the National Fatherhood Initiative (NFI) working to end father absence. Underlying many of society’s most pressing challenges is a lack of father involvement in their children’s lives.
Watch video below to see interview with a 24/7 Dad graduate.
NBN 24/7 Dad’s mission is to transform fathers in at risk communities by equipping them to intentionally and proactively engage in their children’s lives.
NBN 24/7 Dad’s vision is for every child to grow up with an involved, responsible, and committed father.
Did you know?
- In America 23.6% of children (17.4 Million) lived in father absent homes in 2014
- Individuals from father absent homes are 279% more likely to carry guns and deal drugs than peers living with their fathers.
- Adolescents in single – mother and single – father families are at a higher risk of risky behaviors, victimization and mental distress compared to those in two parent families.
- Higher quality father daughter relationships are a proactive factor against engagement in risky sexual behaviors.
NBN 24/7 Dad ® Program
- The 24/7 Dad is an evidence based program which covers universal aspects of fatherhood and follows a consistent format for twelve sessions.
- Each session is two hours
- Goal is to sign up 10-12 fathers per program
- Each session has two certified facilitators
- Workbooks will be handed out to participants at the beginning of the course
- Fathers will be distributed checklist forms to fill out for their daily, weekly and monthly goals, that they can use to follow their progress throughout the program.
- Fathers participate in activities during sessions that reinforce learning objectives.
- Food will be served at each session
Participants will learn the characteristics of a 24/7 Dad ®
Caring for Self
The 24/7 Dad takes care of his health and is aware that in order to care for his family he needs to care for himself.
The 24/7 Dad is a positive role model and he understands that fathers are involved in the daily lives of their children.
The 24/7 Dad is a nurturing parent who understands and accepts the importance his parenting skills have in developing the physical, emotional, intellectual, social, spiritual and creative needs of his children.
The 24/7 Dad works to build and maintain healthy and supportive relationships with his children, wife, family, friends and community.
NBN 24/7 Dad® Program consists of 12 sessions
1). Family History – Exploring your current relationships with your family to identify strengths and areas you would like to improve.
2). What it Means to be a Man – Increase awareness of the traits of masculinity that you want to see in yourself and the traits you want to model for your children. Explore current male stereotypes.
3). Showing and Handling Feelings – Learn how dads have modeled the acceptable and unacceptable ways to express feelings. learn to express feeling appropriately.
4). Men’s Health – Focus on the emotional and cognitive connections regarding physical health.
5). Communication – Explore the importance of developing and using healthy communication. Learn to be able to get along with the other caregiver of the child. Improve co-parenting relationships.
6). The Father’s Role – Learn about the differences between fathering and mothering.
7). Discipline – The true meaning and purpose of discipline is to teach. Appropriate teaching methods will be explored.
8). Children’s Growth – Focuses on dad’s being nurturers in order to foster a child’s physical and emotional development. Learn to help your child increase their self-esteem.
9). Getting Involved – Learn what it means to be involved even if you are a non-custodial parent.
10). Working with Mom and Co-parenting – Re-visit communication techniques. Learn specific strategies for de-escalating conversations with the other parent.
11). Dad’s and Work – Learn how to balance work with family.
12). My 24/7 Dad Checklist – Review all the things that were previously discussed and take inventory on what you’ve accomplished and what you still want to work on.